My aim is to teach you everything about Computer Graphics, C++ and Game Engine Development.
Let's get started!
Must Read Articles
These are must read articles in Game Engine Development, OpenGL and C++.
Game Engine Articles
Ever wondered how a game engine works? These articles will give you an overview of Game Engine design.
- How does a Game Engine work? An Overview
- How does a Rendering Engine work? An Overview
- How does a Physics Engine work? An Overview
- Design Patterns in Game Engine Development
Read more Game Engine Development articles here.
OpenGL ES articles
If you are planning to use OpenGL in your game engine, then you may want to understand how the OpenGL API works. I recommend to read these articles.
- What is OpenGL
- What is a Vertex Shader
- What is a Fragment Shader
- Understanding OpenGL Objects
- Visualizing OpenGL Objects
- Brief talk about OpenGL Textures
- Compiling, Attaching and Linking Shaders
Read more OpenGL ES articles here.
To develop a Game Engine, you can use any language you want. I use C++. It is fast and powerful. If you are planning to develop your engine using C++, I recommend you to read these articles.
- How to use virtual destructors
- How to use namespaces
- Always initialize C++ Objects
- Never call a virtual function during destrucion
- Prefer pass-by-reference-to-const to pass-by-value
- Don't return a reference when you must return an object
- Delay construction of objects until they are needed
- References are Aliases, not Pointers
- Avoid memory leaks in C++ with Smart Pointers
- Avoid code duplication in C++ with function templates
- Avoid code duplication with Class Templates in C++
Read more C++ articles here.
OpenGL ES Projects
I recommend to start learning OpenGL ES by doing these projects. Each project has access to additional links which I recommend you to read.
- Rendering a character using OpenGL ES in iOS
- Applying texture to a character using OpenGL ES in iOS
- How to use OpenGL ES Shaders
- How to rotate a character using OpenGL ES in iOS
- How to apply lighting to a character using OpenGL ES in iOS
- How to apply a Skybox (Cube Map) using OpenGL ES in iOS
- How to add a Normal Map using OpenGL ES in iOS
You can have access to all these projects on the OpenGL ES Projects page.